Thursday, February 24, 2011

This and That

I need to catch-up on some stuff.

First, Neil built a fabulous bunk-bed for the kids.  Twin on top, Full on bottom.  He got plans online for like $10, ordered all the hardware online too, then just had to buy wood at Lowe's, make cuts, sand each part, and put it all together.  Neil ended up making it for less than half of what we could have bought the same thing for.  We had a guy at church, who paints for a living, volunteer to paint the beds for us as a "new baby" present.  It Blessed us tremendously, because it saved Neil a lot of time!  So we were able to get the beds up faster so the kids could adjust to being in the same room sooner.  We painted them a light cream color to match the double dresser that we already had - both of which would be in the room with 2 kids :)  The only thing left to do is the drawers that serve as under-bed storage, that will store much, much more than these baskets do.


Isn't it great??
I made the duvet covers and curtains too.  I know...they're kinda plain...but since I don't know the sex of the baby yet...and therefore what two kids would be sharing a room (2 boys or 2 girls?) I figured I'd go with something plain and gender neutral and dress it up later, if needed.  The cool thing is that I made both duvet covers and the curtains for a grand total of about $28.  yup.  I bought flat sheets from walmart.  For the duvet covers, I sewed 2 twin flat sheets together and 2 full flat sheets together - then added snaps at the bottom for an opening, so they can be taken off and washed easily.  For the curtains, I bought 2 more twin-size flat sheets, hemmed the bottom, and made a pocket at the top.  Super easy.  Plus, it gave me an excuse to use my new snap press...


I'm way excited about this thing.  It will make my life so much easier when it comes to putting snaps on diapers.  I had the pliers, but they seriously start hurting my hand after a while...and with this baby the snaps come out perfect every time.  amazing contraption.  I'm loving it!
I'll be using it a lot here in the near future...

...and that reminds me to update on LoveBums.
Here's what I've come up with so far for my logo/clothing tags for the diapers/ministry:

Feedback please!  Should I put a website (my Etsy store site, when I get it) instead of the subtitle for advertisement?  or should I have both? any other thoughts/suggestions?  Anything would be appreciated.
Other than that, I've been working on tweaking my patterns, experimenting with new fabrics, figuring out costs/ how much to charge for them, etc.  Soon I'll be ordering a LOT of fabric to start working on diapers as I have time...until I feel like it's the right time to kick-off an Etsy store and start-up this ministry.  I am super-excited about it all.

I've officially (and successfully) made my first AIO (All-in-one) diaper!

It's waterproof PUL on the outside, 2 layers of 100% organic natural (not bleached) cotton on the inside, Side snaps - super-adjustable w/ 5 snap settings that don't touch baby's skin! With 2 rows of snaps, you can adjust it to be larger in the legs than the tummy, or vice versa.


Elastic legs and waist.  The waist elastic is larger for more comfort. 

On the inside, there is a flap-style soaker made of two more layers of the same fabric (sewn-in but also much easier to wash and dry). 
I had to do some tweaking to my original pattern (after trying it on a baby to get a real feel for it) to get the fit just right, but I think this one has a fabulous fit now :)  I wish you could feel how SOFT the fabric is on the inside...ooolala!