Monday, June 4, 2012

Homeschool Decisions, Part 1: why?

My last post about homeschool had to do with frustrations about not really knowing what we wanted to do with our children to teach them. But God is faithful. I feel like in asking Him about school, God continually pointed me to James. Not only do we need to ask for wisdom when we don't have it (James 1:5), but we also need to ask with the right motives - rather than asking out of selfish ambition (James 4:3).
The decision about schooling my children should not be based on what is easiest for me, or what I believe my capabilities are. Rather, how I educate my children should be based upon
1.God's Word
2.The leading of the Holy Spirit.
That simple.

For me, as I have poured over Scripture, I see my role as a Mother more clearly. I see a passage like Deuteronomy 6 and I can't help but see that discipling my children should be something that I am doing constantly, in every opportunity that presents itself throughout the day.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all of your soul and with all your strength. These commands that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:4-9

All 3 kiddos having their "quiet time" of the day.
And reading about Jesus with the disciples shows me this so much more fully. They followed Him wherever He went. To the market, on boats across seas - they were with him all the time. They were there when he was teaching in the synagogue, when he was ministering to the sick, when he was sharing things about God both as a group of the 12 and individually. They watched how he dealt with financial difficulty, opposition, frustration, the loss of a beloved friend, and ultimately His sacrifice for the sin of the entire world. Being a constant companion of Christ is what made them disciples...even those who would betray him.  Being the disciples of Christ didn't mean that they would do things perfectly.  Yes, we can talk about Judas betraying him, even after being his disciple for 3 years, but there were others as well.  Peter denied him.  Thomas doubted.  Others ran away.  Yet, they all followed him.

Paul had said "look to me as I look to Christ.". I don't think that I could ever make a statement so bold. But there is something in these words that teaches me about discipleship, and therefore how to disciple my children.

I've known for a long time that the best way to lead someone to know the Lord is simply by building relationships. The times that I have seen fruit displayed in sharing Christ with others have been in the form of long-term relationships (family...close friends), and have taken YEARS of just living among them, showing my faith through the way that I live, and pouring in Truth whenever possible.  Yes, it even meant getting through those really difficult Q&A times, praying with them, loving them no matter what they choose to do, and yet still not approving of behavior that doesn't line up with God's Word. The funny part is that I usually never even had to say that I didn't approve of something like cursing, because I just didn't do it. People notice.

 Anyway, all of this to pose a simple question: If this is the way discipleship looks like with others, shouldn't it be the same for my children? I've always been a stay-at-home mom, but lately God is digging my roots in deep. Making my foundation sure.
 Why do I stay at home? What is the ultimate purpose?
 It is to glorify God by living and pouring into my children at every opportunity. To be a living, breathing example of a person living for Christ. I need to pray with them and read God's Word with them.  I need to teach them to pray and study God's Word for themselves.  My ultimate goal, however, is not to simply teach them to know about God, but to Love God - with all of their hearts, with all of their souls, and with all of their strength.  It means being with them as much as possible, using every opportunity for training and instruction. I need to provide as much opportunity as possible for God's Word to take root so that it can land on fertile soil, instead of getting choked out by the world.  It means giving them a strong foundation, so that as opportunities come for them to walk out into the world to be a light in the darkness, they are able to stand firm and shine their light bright.  It means living among them, day after day, showing them Christ by the way that I live (even in messing up and asking for forgiveness over, and over, and over).

A turtle that found its way into our backyard

However, one thing that I noticed in Deuteronomy 6 is that these instructions are first and foremost for the fathers (or mothers)...to love the Lord with all of their heart, soul, and strength...that God's Word should be on their heart...THEN teaching their children is an overflow of what is in the heart.  They cannot teach what is not in their own hearts.  I cannot teach my children to love the Lord if I don't.  I can't teach my children to follow His commands, if I don't.  I can't teach my children to spend time in God's Word, if I never do.  Anything I teach my children must first begin with MY heart.  That doesn't mean I will be perfect.  It will never happen.  But to teach, I have to have a heart willing to learn, and a spirit that is continually yielding to the Holy Spirit of God.  I have to be willing for God to shape my heart, so that he can use me to shape the hearts of my children.

Discipleship. I know I tend to talk about this a lot lately, and you may be wondering what in the world this has to do with educating my children.
It has everything to do with it.
I believe discipleship is absolutely the foundation for education. If I am speaking about God's Word as I am sitting down, and lying down, in my home and on the road, then I am educating them.  I'm not just sharing about a tadpole turning into a frog.  I'm sharing about how God created that tadpole to turn into a frog.  When we talk about the universe, we stand in amazement at just how big God is, and we worship Him.
When they are at home, and they are helping me as I do my chores with joy, then I am teaching them to cheerfully do a task they have been given, and I am teaching them life skills to be used in the future.  Everything in their world somehow relates to who God is.  Their worldview is shaped based on God's Word.

Baby birds, hatched in my ferns hanging on the front porch

Unless my goal is to disciple my children, then what is the purpose behind home school in the first place? I'm beginning to understand the bigger picture.  That is where fear can set in. (It's a big responsibility.) And that is where Faith has a chance to thrive. (God is bigger.  God will equip.  God will provide wisdom.)  It means total dependence upon the Holy Spirit for guidance and direction. Only then can anything I do be Good.
 What works for us, may not work for you, but we are going where the Holy Spirit is leading our family, and that is such an exciting place to be!

Stay tuned for: Homeschool Decisions, Part 2: What?