Monday, February 20, 2012

Gleaning

The Lord is filling me to overflowing.
Is it possible to stop time just to be able to take it all in and really chew on everything that He's teaching me?

The past couple of weeks, I have been bombarded almost with opportunities to glean what others have planted as far as how to better disciple my children.
I've been amazed as I have witnessed the possibilities.
From Bible lessons to memory verses.  From activities together to teaching children the discipline of spending quiet time with the Lord.  A whole new world is opening up before my very eyes - a world that I not only never thought was possible, but a world that I never even knew existed - or COULD exist!
And God continues to pour out on me.
It's not a certain formula.  It's an attitude of the heart.
And I'm no longer content.  I'm bursting at the seams.

For the first time, I think I'm truly beginning to understand the calling of motherhood.
The gravity of that calling.
The legacy that living out that calling can mean.
and what does it mean to leave a legacy?
When your sons and daughters can glean what you have learned the hard way.  When they "just know" how to truly teach their children how to walk in the Lord because they are simply repeating what was taught to them.
That is a legacy.  And there is something amazing about that.
Because unless we choose to be different, to stop what has been done generation after generation...the natural thing to do is repeat what we know.  repeat what we have been taught.  We, as parents, tend to repeat how we were parented.  Sometimes it isn't a good thing.  However, when children are taught the Word of God and are taught how to apply the Word of God to their lives, that will be what they repeat with their children.

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

Nobody is perfect.  Nobody does it perfectly.  We all need the Grace of God everyday to empower us to do anything good.
And that's where it has to start.  Everyday surrendering my heart - my thoughts, my words, and my deeds - my attitude, and my mood - fully to Him - so that He can give me the full measure of Grace that I need for that day.  It's learning what true love is - putting others first.  Putting our children before ourselves.  Choosing Joy.  Choosing contentment.  Jesus knows that I am so far from attaining this that it almost seems as far as east is from the west.  But through Him, nothing is impossible, and as far as the east is from the west is how far he has already cast my sin.
It's an attitude of the heart.  And being filled with the Holy Spirit anew every day.
His mercies are new every morning.

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds...teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, when you lie down, and when you get up."
-Deuteronomy 11:18-19