Tuesday, March 8, 2011

38 weeks (part 2) - positions and chiropractors

Seems like all I'm blogging about is baby stuff, but I guess that's because that's pretty much the main focus of our attention right now.

Last night I was having contractions 2.5 minutes apart.  I was breathing pretty hard, and I was having to pause and kinda bend over through them.  The bad thing is that I was only feeling the pain on my right side.  That's happened a lot with the contractions, but this time with how hard they were, it was starting to worry me.  I called my midwife, Melody, and she said that it worried her too.  She said that she thought the baby may be in a bad position that would make labor a lot more difficult.  She advised us to meet she and the chiropractor at the birthing center to get adjusted.  She said it would either put me into full-on labor, or it would stop the contractions so that I could be more comfortable and get some sleep.  Neil and I weren't quite ready to wake up the kids and drive 30 min. for an adjustment when I had one scheduled for the next morning, so we decided to wait it out a bit and see if the contractions would stop.
Luckily, after getting into a warm bath for a while, the contractions started to become more inconsistent and less painful.  They didn't stop completely, but I knew that labor wasn't happening last night.

So, this morning, all of us went together for my appointment.  I saw the chiropractor first.  She confirmed that the baby was indeed in an awkward position.  The head was down, and the back was on the left side (good), but the head was off-center and kinked, and it seemed like the baby was also trying to get a hand up by its head as well.  She adjusted my hips, pelvic bone, back, neck - the whole bit.  Then, she just put me in lots of different positions, and worked on trying to physically move the baby into a better position.  I walked up and down the stairs and around the premises of the birthing center for a while, to get my hips and pelvis moving around, then she checked the baby's position again.  Everything looked good!

I had my regular appointment too.  BP was a bit on the higher end for me, but she wasn't worried about it because of the contractions and all that that I've been having.  Everything else looked good.  She checked the baby's position internally, and said that it seemed like the baby was back to a good position as well.  She said that she thought I was dilated to more like a 4.5 rather than a 5, but said that when someone is having lots of contractions the cervix tends to stretch out more.  Everything else was about the same.

I'm just happy that the baby is in a good position now, so that when I do go into labor we don't have any problems.  My prayer is that everything will just stay aligned until labor starts.  Of course, the good thing is that if my hip/pelvic bone do go out and gets the baby into a bad position again, and I go into labor, I can call the chiropractor to come to the house for the labor and delivery along with the midwife, if needed.

Waiting for the Lord's perfect timing...