Friday, August 21, 2009

OB Update

Here's the stats from my doctor visit yesterday:

1. I'll be 36 weeks on Saturday.

2. I gained some weight! yay!

3. They did the GBS (Group B Strep) test, so I should know those results next week. Last time I was positive, and my labor was so fast they were only able to give me 1 out of the 2 doses of antibiotics you're supposed to get...so Bella and I had to stay in the hospital longer, just in case...but everything was fine.

4. IF I make it to 39 weeks, we have decided that we're ok with me being induced. I did some research on precipitous labor on my own this week. Now I understand more about the rarity (2% of all labors...hardly ever happens with a first child), trends (faster each time), and risks (more risk of tearing, bruising of baby's face, VERY painful, lack of ability to use either natural childbirth education techniques or drugs because of the intensity and short time, and the risk of unassisted home or in-car births that can lead to other problems) of precipitous labors, and therefore why my doctor is so concerned. Now my biggest concern is HOW they do the induction, so that it doesn't make my labor even faster. We'll just have to tackle that one If/when the time comes. I know it all depends on dilation, etc.

4. Speaking of dilation... I'm not even quite 36 weeks... and I'm at 1cm and 25% effaced.

5. My next appointment is tuesday.

Now, it's just a waiting game...