Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Choice

Every morning I have a choice.
It determines the rest of my day.
my mood, my attitude,
and the way I will react
to everything that comes my way.
This choice carries over to my children as well,
in all that they say and do.
For their attitudes reflect the ones of their mother
and their mother affects their moods.

My choice lies between the sheets of my bed,
where I lie cozy, all comfy and warm.
Will I choose today to die to myself
and give up sleep to spend time with my Lord?
Or will I choose to be awakened,
grumpy and delaying
into another day of shouting,
bickering, and complaining
all the while wondering why on earth I chose this path
when a more fulfilling way lies in this one choice that I have.

For when I wake with the Lord,
and I give my time to him,
there is a refilling of the Spirit within me.
There is peace.  There is joy.
Purpose with every question,
and boundless opportunity.
Discipline is done with humility,
a good attitude, and a calm disposition.
Time exists that never would have otherwise.
And I am able to not just speak, but also listen.
Joy is found in everything that I do.
I sing as I fold laundry.
I hum while doing dishes, and my children sing along.
Less bickering, less shouting.

though chaotic at times, I love my job.
and I'm content at the end of the day.
No headache, no backache, but excitement and joy
And all of this because I woke up to pray?

So why would I choose the bed,
when I know dying to self is gain?
Why does hitting snooze seem so wonderful
when it ruins my day?
I'm learning to say no
to my comfy bed and sheets.
And arising to spend time with the Lord
as my beautiful children sleep.
And the more time that I spend with Him,
the better off I'll be.
For my children's example of following Christ
lies entirely within me.