Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Praise the Lord for Vision!!

The past couple of years, I feel like I've been in this slump.  Lack of vision seems to have been the culprit.  I know that being a full-time mom is my God-ordained #1 ministry.  Ministering to my children should come before any other ministry in which I take part.  However, I also know that God didn't create me to be simply a wife and a mother.  He created me to use my gifts, talents, and abilities to minister to others as well.  He has a plan and purpose for me, Pam, outside of my "wife" and "mom" titles.  The question of how I can be both a full-time mom AND do something out in the world for the kingdom has been a struggle for me, yet I knew deep-down that it was possible.

Over the past couple of months, God has started to put various things on my heart.  More questions than anything.  But over the course of this past week or two, God has totally bombarded me with a very real, very specific vision for what he wants me to do for his kingdom.

Many people (MANY) - over the past 2 years - have told me that I should sell the diapers that I make on Etsy.  I never really took them seriously, simply because I couldn't see myself setting all that time aside to work on diapers, when I don't really need the cash - and I didn't want it taking away from the time I needed to spend with my kids.  It just seemed selfish to me.

However, at the same time, I've been wondering how I could use making diapers as a ministry.  I thought about teaching other ladies to make them...or making some for people that couldn't really afford them...

Then BAM!  It all just kinda came together.  So this is the vision:

I'm going to sell diapers/ diaper covers/ training pants on Etsy for the going price (on the low-end of that going price, most likely...some people charge insane amounts for them - ridiculous!).
Because they sell for way more than what it costs to make them, I am going to use all the proceeds that I make on Etsy to fund making diapers for people that can't afford them.  I know that there are people out there that have to cut back on groceries, simply because they have to buy diapers. 
For each diaper/cover I sell, I should be able to make about 4 or 5 for people who need them.

How will I give them out?
That's where networking comes in.
1. crisis pregnancy centers.  I volunteered at one in college.  Most have a program where they take donated items and put them in a store.  Moms can then earn points doing various things (going to prenatal appointments, parenting classes, etc.) and can use those points to buy things in their "store".  I figure if someone needs diapers, cloth is the best way to go, because you don't have to keep buying them!  So my first goal is to talk to the crisis pregnancy center here, in town, and see if they would want any for their store, and go from there.

2. I'm also wanting to talk to my midwife about it - both for getting the word out about the Etsy store (for funding purposes) AND for if there is anyone that needs diapers and can't afford them, so I can give them some!

3. There's also Mission Granbury, Mission Arlington, shelters, etc. that I could go to as well...the list could go on and on...

Timing, of course, is important.  With me being less than 2 months away from having a baby right now, I know that now is not the best time to go full-force into this.  Plus, there's some groundwork that I need to cover first.
So, for now, the plan is to lay the groundwork, do the networking, and order a ton of diaper-making materials, and make diapers as I have time - so they are ready to sell when I feel it's the right time to begin.  God has given me the vision that I asked for, and I'm busting at the seems to follow through - I just have to be patient now :)

oh, and I've been thinking of what to call this vision.  So far, this is what I've come up with:

Love Bums
Showing love to the world one bum at a time...

because...Those that buy diapers, are actually donating/ showing love to others though their support.  And those that receive the donated diapers, are on the receiving end of that love.

What do you think about the name?  Too cheesy?  Just right?  some feedback would be great on that one! 

Can I just say that I am super-excited about this??