Wednesday, July 30, 2008

15 month check-up

Bella went to the Doctor today for her 15-month check-up. Interesting experience to say the least. It's amazing what 3 months does as far as awareness to surroundings. When the nurse tried to take her vitals, she FREAKED out! I can only imagine what she was thinking: "why are you sticking that pointy thing in my ear? why are you putting that cold thing on my chest? why are you stripping me down and laying me on this table? who is this weird lady that is doing this to me? Is mommy going to leave me with her?.... (then for shots...) why is my leg hurting? why is mommy standing there letting this lady hurt me with that sharp thing? oh, the pain!!..."

We did successfully get her vitals, and later on, we successfully gave Bella 2 shots. A pretty traumatic experience, that I'm sure she forgot 30 min. later.
Bella weighs about 23.5 lbs. and is 31.5 inches tall. not much of a difference from her 12 month check-up. I seriously thought she had grown more than that in height. I used to be able to open up her car door without having to move her or have her duck. now, she has to do one or the other - she's too tall!

She dropped down a bit as far as percentages though. at 12 months she was 95% for height and 75% for weight. now she's about 75% for height and about 50% for weight. The doc said not to worry too much about it right now, but to give her a second snack everyday if she wants it.

The kid seriously wants to eat all the time. she's always saying "eat! eat!" and gets really excited about it. And it's not like she's a string bean or anything...this kid is not starving...and she's not fat either... she's actually pretty perfect. I'm not worried about it. She eats when she's hungry - and that's all that matters.

Ok, now development: Apparently, Bella's development is that of an 18+ month old right now. Doc was amazed at her vocabulary... that she's saying 30+ words and that she's starting to put words together, like "love you" and "hi, poppy". And of course there's the potty training thing that everyone is always amazed by (if we were living in the 50's, it would be a pretty normal thing...) And there was other stuff that she mentioned too, but I can't remember everything...

I guess I can't complain about having a smart kid. I'm a pretty proud mama, actually.
...And now that we're back home and back to normal (if you can call it normal) learning time continues...