Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Conversation with Bella

  I know this is a very random post considering how long it's been since I posted anything, but this just brought my heart a strange Joy, and wanted to share.

Bella: Mommy, where am I going to live when I'm a mommy?
Me: I don't know, Bella.  You will live wherever God wants you to live.
Bella: Maybe I'll live in Granbury.
Me: Or somewhere else in Texas, or Louisiana, or New York...
Bella: Or South America!
Me: Ha!  Yes, Bella.  Maybe South America.
Bella: I think when I get big I'm going to give food to children that don't have any.  What's that place called again, Mommy?
Me: South America?
Bella: No, no... The place we talked about yesterday.  The place where kids don't have food to eat...
Me: Are you talking about starving kids in Africa?
Bella: Yes!
Me: Bella, there are starving kids all over the world, even in America.  Not just Africa.
Bella:  yeah...I know, but I think I'll go to Africa.  Since the kids don't have any food, I'll just take a LOT of food with me to Africa so I can give it to them.
Me: you're going to take all the food with you?
Bella: Yes!  They need food!

The day before, Bella had complained that she was "STARVING".  I have issues with that term, because some people are truly starving, and we use the word so lightly to describe a slight discomfort when we haven't eaten in a couple of hours.  I'm sure I'm guilty of it too, but I suppose I'm noticing it more lately.
Anyway, I told Bella that she may feel hungry, but she wasn't "starving" unless she had gone a whole day or more (that is difficult enough for her to fathom at the moment) without eating, because she didn't have any food, or any money to get food.  Like kids in Africa that don't have food.  I then mentioned that there are children everywhere in the world starving.  America too.  This wasn't our first "talk" about those who don't have food, but apparently Africa stuck with her.  Apparently Bella is going to Africa.  And she's taking a lot of food.

But it makes my heart glad to see and hear her concern for those that she doesn't even know.
A child understands injustice and wants to do something about it.  Hungry children were obviously on her heart.
What is on mine?