Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Learning to Dance

"What does it mean to be saved?
Isn't more than just a prayer to pray,
more than just a way to Heaven?
What does it mean to be His,
to be formed in his likeness,
to know that we have a purpose?
To be salt and light in the world, to the world
To be salt and light in the world.

Let the redeemed of the Lord say so..."


Driving down Hwy 377 from Ft. Worth to our home in Granbury, the kids and I were listening to this song (by Israel Houghton) and singing along...they wanted to sing it over and over and over...
Bella was shouting it out at the top of her lungs:

"I am redeemed, I am redeemed...."

My heart begins to burst as I think about what God is going to do in the hearts of my children.
Then I get overwhelmed with Joy and Humbled by the fact that He has called me - ME - to disciple my children and raise them up to be the men and women that God has called them to be.

I let that sink in a little...

How in the world is that possible?
I have been given the greatest mission in the entire world - to raise up an army for the Lord.
It is a huge responsibility.  Showing Jesus to them every day in such a way that they long to know the Lord - to be one of the Redeemed of the Lord.  Teaching them to be salt and light to the world.
This doesn't happen by going to church, dropping them off at the nursery or their respective classes, and expecting them to be taught the Word of God.
It happens at home.  It happens at the grocery store.  It happens at the park.  It happens when we're together at other's houses.  It happens in vans driving down the highway.
It happens when they mess up.  It happens when they do something worthy of praise.  It happens in all of those moments in between.
It happens every possible moment of every day.
That's Discipleship.

After all, that's what Jesus did.  The disciples went with him everywhere He went.  They witnessed how he cared for others and served others, how he depended on the Father, trusted the Father, submitted to the Father's will, and sacrificed.  How he forgave.  How he taught God's Word.  Jesus used everyday interactions and everyday illustrations to show these 12 men who God was...and who HE was.  I'm planning on studying more about this for the summer - How Jesus taught the 12.  Perhaps that will give me a better idea on how I am to teach the 3 that have been put under my care.

Yes, I'm prepared for my toes to be stepped all over.

But God gives us wisdom when we ask.

Then, the beautiful thing is that as we come to know Him more, His desires become our desires, and our desires transform into His desires as we continue in this wonderful dance with the Lord.

My dance with the Lord is where teaching my children begins.  I learn the steps, then I teach it to them.  I learn the rhythm and I teach them the rhythm.  I learn how to follow His lead, and I teach them how to follow His lead. I do this until they come to the place of knowing the Savior.  They spend time dancing with Him on their own.  They learn their own special steps and their own special rhythm to their own special dance with Him.  Then after learning the steps, following His lead, and flowing with the rhythm, they come to know him more everyday, until they know Him so intimately that they are able to let go, and get lost in His eyes, as the world around them fades away.

When we are lost in His eyes, the things of the world don't matter.
When we are lost in His eyes, anything can happen.
When we are lost in His eyes, He can use us wherever we are to do things we never thought possible.
We just have to learn to dance.