Thursday, January 12, 2012

10 Months Already?

I'm wanting to push the stop button, or at least the pause button.  My baby is getting so big so fast and I'm left wondering where the time has gone.


I weighed Isaiah the other day with his clothes on, and he was about 16.5 lbs.  So probably more like 16 is accurate.  He's our petite one, for sure.


We are still successfully breastfeeding, although I'm starting to re-evaluate the word "successful".  For a while there, I thought we were going to have to stop nursing all-together, because Isaiah is just so curious about EVERYTHING going on around him.  Nurse for 2 seconds, off for 5 minutes.  Nurse until I have a let-down, then immediately come off  to look at something, and get sprayed in the face with milk.  He gets distracted by the smallest, most insignificant things.  A noise.  A toy he sees.  The phone or TV remote catches his eye.  Daddy is somewhere in the room, he just knows it!  He comes off to flirt.  He comes off to play.  It's definitely been a battle the past couple of months.  This month, it's gotten a bit better, but we had to throw nursing in public (or around other people) out the window.  For those situations I have to pump and give him a sippy cup.  Otherwise, I'd be flashing everyone around me about a million times in one feeding, or he would be too distracted to eat at all.  Heck, we have that problem at home sometimes!  So the pump has become a very close friend of mine.

Isaiah is definitely loving table food right now.  I've been giving him some finger foods, but I'm also using the food mill more than I have for either of the other kids.  I love it!  He's eating a lot of the same things that we are now, which makes preparing food for him a snap!

His favorite foods right now: meat sticks, yogurt, bread, crackers, applesauce...but he really eats anything we give him.

Isaiah is still taking his time in the movement department.  He is on the floor playing ALL the TIME.  We don't put him in a jumper, walker, or any other contraption, and yet...He still isn't crawling on all fours.  He does his scooting version of the Army crawl.  I noticed today that he totally has the crawling down except for his left knee.  If I help him move his left leg, he does the rest himself.  Maybe something is out of line?  He's getting on hands and knees and rocking, moving into a sitting position, and even trying to pull up on things (only successful on his knees at this point.  No pulling to a stand yet, although he's trying).  He likes to stand and hold on to things, like his play-table and the ottoman in the living room, but we definitely have to be right behind him, because he isn't very steady on his feet yet.  It'll all happen in time.  Right now I'm kinda glad that he's taking it slow...more time to cuddle with mama instead of running away :)

In other milestones, Isaiah has reached the point of loving books for other reasons than eating them.  He actually looks at the pictures, touches the textures, and gets excited about book time.  He loves turning the pages as well.  And he loves turning off lights now.  Before naps and bed I let him turn his light off before putting him down in his bed.  Makes him happy.



And speaking of bed, Isaiah has a new thing with sitting up in his crib, taking out his binky, and throwing it over the side and onto the floor.  Sometimes it isn't a problem, but sometimes I'm wondering why it's taking him more than his usual 5 minutes to fall asleep...turning into like an hour...I'll go in and yes - he's done it again.

Isaiah officially has 4 teeth now.  He just cut his top two teeth at the same time, and you would never have guessed it, thanks to a Baltic Amber teething necklace.  The day before we got it, Isaiah was starting to get pretty fussy.  I put that necklace on him, and within a couple of hours he was back to himself.  seriously.  I never took it off, and you never would have thought he was cutting 2 teeth.  no fussing, no nothing, except a bit of drooling.  Amazing!

What I love most about Isaiah:
1. His beautiful eyes.  He has the longest eyelashes of any of the kids, and his eyes are brown and blue.  They are brown in the middle and blue around the edges.  All the time.  Just beautiful.  I've never seen anything like it.
2. His smile.  It takes up so much of his petite face.  I love it.
3. He is a happy, go-with-the-flow baby with a no-quit attitude.  Happy, persistent, and patient.  That's hard to find.