Friday, October 1, 2010

Midwife update

So we decided on a midwife to use. It pretty much came down to distance... when considering not just the birth, but every prenatal and postpartum appointment as well...it was a pretty important factor. We've decided to go with the Cleburne Birthing Center and our midwife will be Melody Morrow.

I had my first appointment yesterday morning. Most of the appointment was just like going to an OB - the urine testing, checking the baby's heartbeat, measuring the uterus, asking lots of questions (about past pregnancies, family history, etc.). Some things were very different though.

1. I learned to test my own urine sample. I did the normal thing, but instead of giving it to a nurse to test, I got a strip of litmus paper squares, dipped it in the sample, waited, and compared the colors on the squares to what they were supposed to look like...so I could see if my protein, glucose, and the like were the way they were supposed to be, then reported the results to the midwife.

2. While going over all the paperwork with the midwife, the kids read books, played with toys, played with the assistant midwives, hung out with the other people there, and just had a grand 'ol time. Nobody minded them roaming around and playing. Nobody minded helping me out with them when needed. One of the midwives even let Balian climb the stairs, and stayed right there behind him the whole time while I was finishing up some paperwork and payment stuff.

3. They have free water and snacks for anybody who comes...nutrigrain bars, crackers, etc., and animal crackers for the kids.

4. There's a toy box in every room that appointments happen in. The lobby, the exam room, the sitting area upstairs...the kids always had something to play with to keep them occupied while I took care of my thing. so wonderful!

5. I didn't feel rushed at all. I felt like I every question I had got completely answered, and more. All-over, I felt so incredibly encouraged.

6. I was educated about nutrition like I never have before. Did you know that a pregnant woman needs 90-100g of protein and 3-4 Liters of water (that's 12-16 glasses...or 96-128 OUNCES) EVERY DAY? I was given information sheets about foods that contain protein and iron, and how much they have. I was also given a Food Diary to keep for the next 2 weeks...so that they can see if I'm getting enough water and protein...and an estimation of my caloric intake.

7. I wasn't hounded about doing the down syndrome and cystic fibrosis tests when filling out the consent forms. They referred to them as "not really necessary". And when talking about STD testing (minus the first HIV test required by law), it isn't an automatic thing that they do...they asked if I thought I needed it. I said "nope. that's the beauty of saving sex for marriage." and they just said "sure is!"

8. I was greeted with hugs, as well as got hugs on my way out.

Can you tell I'm excited about using a midwife?

One big thing we have to decide: Home birth or Birthing Center? The reason it's even up for debate (we were already set for doing home birth) is that we found out that our insurance will cover midwife care, if I deliver at the birthing center...but they won't cover a home birth. We didn't think they covered anything, and thought we'd be paying for it all (which really isn't much at all compared to what out-of-pocket expenses are for a hospital birth, even if you're only paying 20%). Apparently that's not the case, and they'll cover the birthing centers...for some reason insurance companies think there's a big difference between a birthing center and home (which there's really not as far as standard of care and resources).
Anyway, still a big decision. But we don't have to decide for sure until 36 weeks...so we have some time to really think it over.