Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Beauty of the Fog

When I was in college, I was working as a youth director at a church in Louisiana.  Just before getting to the church, I would always drive past a cemetary.  Under normal circumstances there was nothing special about it.  I don't think I even took a second glance.  But on foggy days, as I drove past the rolling hills of the cemetery, the fog dispersed throughout yet seemingly stuck in the lower places in the land, it took my breath away.  There is something beautiful about fog.

Perhaps you think I'm crazy.  What could ever be beautiful about fog?  It's dark, dreary, drizzling, and probably a handful of other words that start with the letter D.  Definitely not beautiful.  More like depressing.


Most of the time when I'm driving on a foggy day, what is in front of me is neither beautiful nor breathtaking.  I just can't see.  It's frustrating.  Why can't the clouds just go away?

But when the fog is in the distance, it doesn't hinder my view.  No squinting.  No straining.  I can see clearly, and I get to see the big picture, the whole picture, the breathtaking picture that is before me.  I may even see a rainbow on the edge of those clouds, in the midst of the drizzle, that I wouldn't be able to see from the middle of the fog.

Because when I'm standing in the middle of the fog, I definitely don't see any rainbows.  Even if they are there, I'm so focused on my circumstance at the moment, on seeing what is ahead, and on simply getting out of the haze, that I miss it entirely.  

Over and over in scripture there are words that help us to see the beauty - the good in the midst of our circumstances.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4 NIV84)

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. (Romans 5:3-5 NIV84)

When my faith is being tested, it's difficult to see the good.  Even if I know these scriptures and have hidden them in my heart.  But it IS good!
Once I can see the big picture, when I am able to look back at a distance, I can see the good.
I've matured.  I've grown stronger in Faith.  I've grown in the knowledge of God's Word, and I've hidden His Word in my heart.  I've experienced God's comfort that can only happen when I am desperate for Him, when I cry out to Him, when I put away my pride and lie prostrate at the foot of the cross.  There is such incredible beauty that comes from desperation.  It awakens a heart's dependency on the Only One on which it can truly depend.  He becomes my refuge, my strength, my mighty fortress.  When I hide under His wings, I realize just how much he loves me, and how much he longs for me to come to Him.  To love Him.
When I have been in that place, leaning on the everlasting arms of God, nothing can shake that.  I know that He will get me through it.

...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 
(Philippians 1:6 NIV84)

And I know that whatever comes my way, He'll be right there with me.

For the Lord loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones.  They will be protected forever... 
(Psalm 37:28 NIV84)

The testing of my faith really does develop perseverance.  And perseverance brings about maturity.  
Because I am able to see a little more clearly now, I see the beauty, and I am thankful for the fog.
God loves me so much that he longs to mature my faith, develop perseverance, and bring me to a place of complete dependence on Him.  Without trials, I can't grow up, I don't mature, and I don't learn to trust Him.  Only when I can do nothing but fall at His feet, do I realize that He really is all that I need.

The trials don't last forever.  It may seem like it, but they don't.
Don't waste your trials on bitterness and selfishness.
Let God do His work to develop perseverance, hope, trust, faith, and maturity.
He is not unloving by allowing trials in our lives.
He would be unloving if He didn't.