Monday, April 2, 2012

Training Log - Getting My Groove Back.

Every time I have to start over with running, (after having a baby, having an injury, being too lazy, etc.) I start out with these goals:

1. run (however slowly) for 30 minutes.  This can start with walk/runs....which turns into run/walks...eventually more running than walking...running for longer and longer...until finally I am able to run (jog slowly) for 30 minutes without stopping.  Usually this is nowhere close to 3 miles...so my next goal is:

2. Run 3 miles.  This means slowly increasing in time.  However, as time goes on, it means getting faster as well, as I get more in shape.  Why 3 miles?  It's a good starting point for base mileage.  If I can run 3 miles consistently, then I can train for longer distances or just start incorporating speed work into my runs to get faster to run a 5k.

3. Once I make the 3-mile mark, I start adding other goals: run a 5k, run a 10k, etc. and I work on a training plan to do so.


So I've been running pretty inconsistently.  Once every couple of weeks, at best.   I'm really a horrible runner if I don't have a training plan.  For real.  It doesn't matter if you have a goal, if you don't have a plan to accomplish that goal.
I finally sat down last week and wrote out my training plan though, so most likely that will give me the motivation I need to get back into the swing of things.
I have my base mileage - although very slow still - but I feel like I'm ready to pick up the pace and start training - and be consistent in my running in general.

So when I get a chance, I'll be posting some of my workouts - just to give you an idea of what my running world is like.  Maybe you could join me :)

Today:
A 30-minute Fartlek.  A Fartlek is running 5 minutes at an easy pace, then 1 minute at a 5k pace - for 30 minutes (or however long the workout lasts).

I'm slow right now, and pushing this too hard would cause me to not be able to finish it.  I figured I could set my 5k pace to 11:00/mile...meaning that my easy pace was 13:00/mile.
I ran on the treadmill. To make it easier to keep track of time (the less thought while running, the better) I did more along the lines of 4 minutes easy and 1 minute of 5k pace, so on every 5 minute mark, I picked up the pace to 5k for one minute, then slowed back down.

At the 30 minute mark I was just shy of 2.5 miles, and I like nice round numbers... so I kept it up until the 2.5 mile mark.  2.5 miles in 31:25.  This was finishing off my last 5k pace.  So then I dropped down to my easy pace again to start my cool-down.  Again, I like nice even numbers...so I did my easy pace for .25 miles - now at 2.75.  I slowed down more and more for cool-down, but finished it up at a nice, fabulous 3-mile mark. :)

Training won't always be 3 miles or more simply because you have a 3-mile base mileage.  With speed work, it doesn't need to be.  You have to slowly train your body to go faster.  That's the point.  It's building endurance at a higher speed.  Most of the time, I'll run much slower over-all or much less distance over-all on speed work days.  It's just the way it is - but there will be improvement over time...I'm looking forward to that :)

Oh, and I have this post-run routine:
-20 push-ups
-Triple Threat  - set of 10 - (Navy workout that Neil taught me way back) - Double leg lifts, split leg lifts, then bicycles.  As I lift my legs up (together or seperate) I count the Navy way (1, 2, 3, 01...1, 2, 3, 02...)
-Stretch everything out.