Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Didy, a.k.a Waves

 So after my first experience with carrying Isaiah on my back - and him sleeping for 2 hours - I was totally sold on it.  My friend Emily is the VP of Ft. Worth Babywearers, and she helped me out a LOT!  After researching wraps, I saw that even though it's just a piece of fabric, it wasn't something I could make and have the same results (comfort, support, etc.) of a bought woven wrap.  I went over to Emily's house and tried out different wraps, she helped me practice different techniques, and she helped me better learn how to get Isaiah in back carries by myself.  She directed me to thebabywearer.com where you can buy woven wraps used on the For Sale or Trade forum.  And that's where I found it.  A used Didymos Silver Waves wrap.  I bought it from a mama in Canada for a really good price, and after trying it out, I wonder how in the world I made it this long without one.  Seriously...those mamas all over the world that carry their babies around while they do everything with the use of both hands have an edge on us "civilized" folk.  See for yourself:

Here's Isaiah in it.  Totally comfy.  Good support.  Not tight around the legs cutting of circulation.  He can see everything going on around him, and I can pull up the fabric that's around his back so that he can go to sleep if he wants.  I can do everything using both hands.  I don't feel like I need to put a hand on Isaiah to support him at all.  On a particular fussy day, I put him back there like this, and cooked dinner.  chopped veggies, bent down to get dishes out of cabinets, etc.  not a fuss was had when he was back there.  seriously amazing.  Oh, and no tugging at my shoulders or making my back hurt because of the baby's weight.  No hunching over. nothing.  love it.


And just to show how supportive these wraps are, here's Balian in it.  Yes, he's over 2 years old.  Honestly, I could probably carry Bella in it if I really wanted to.  So what did I do when I wrapped up Balian on my back?  I took him for a hands-free piggy-back ride...running around the house.  yes, I was running.  and yes, without hands supporting him at all.  It's that supportive.  He had a blast!


Seriously...I wish I had known about these things sooner!  It totally beats slings, ring slings, and Moby's, hands down!