Monday, July 25, 2011

Isaiah - 4 months

So this is a little late - normal for me, I suppose ;)

Isaiah had his 4-month check-up and here's the stats:
weight - 12 lbs. 9 oz.
height - 24.5 inches

Dr. Arouse said that he was very happy with his weight, and that he was a very proportionate baby.  He's definitely not the rolly-polly baby that Balian and Bella were, but he's definitely healthy.

Eating and Sleeping:
During the day, Isaiah eats about 4 times per day - about every 4 hours or so.  He usually takes one good, long nap (like 2+ hours) another nap that's a bit shorter (1.5 hrs.) and sometimes a catnap in the evenings, but sometimes not, depending on how the afternoon nap went.
At night, he gets his last feeding at about 8pm, goes right down to sleep (even though he's fully awake when put in his bed) and sleeps until about 8am - sometimes longer (like today, when I had to wake him up at 9am!!)
Don't let the amount of feedings fool you though - this kid can eat!  In fact he eats so much first thing in the morning, that I am HURTING when I wake up.  I was wondering why my body wasn't adjusting to him going longer at night...then after a couple of weeks, I started hurting WORSE in the morning.  Then, I realized that the reason my body wasn't compensating was because he was actually emptying out my supply in the morning...I pumped to find out how much that was...and I pumped out 10 oz!!  I'm not sure where he puts all of that milk...
So I talked to my LC today to figure out what I can do about the pain in the morning...she gave me some ideas - pump before I go to bed - or if that doesn't help to wake up at like 3am and pump just for relief (apparently the milk-producing hormones are at their highest levels usually between 2-5am).  We'll see what helps.

Needless to say, things are going VERY well in the breastfeeding department.  I am THRILLED!!  I have some videos of him eating before and after his lip-tie surgery.  I haven't posted them because I'm a little hesitant, but it does show the difference that it can make in a baby's latch.  I'll post them if I get enough feedback to do so, otherwise, I suppose we can do without it, and you'll just have to take my word for it.  But things are seriously better.  no pain because of a poor latch.  He's getting more milk at a time (obviously), and going longer between feedings.  MUCH less gas and colicky symptoms - the gas is easier to get out and Isaiah isn't waking up from naps because of it.  Reflux is something of the past.  He only spits up the amount any typical baby would...unless he has a bottle and isn't burped well - which I suppose is in the "normal baby" category as well.  Amazing.  And it's so interesting.  EVERY SINGLE woman I have talked to (since dealing with all of this) that has had breastfeeding problems in the past - yup.  their kid(s) have a tongue tie or a lip tie.  Yes.  100% of them.  Isn't that wild?  They thought they couldn't produce enough milk...or gave up because it was so painful they couldn't handle it.  What a difference knowledge can make!  And what a difference a simple procedure can make in a mother's emotional state (from helplessness, hopelessness, and frustration to empowerment, enjoyment, and satisfaction) and a baby's ability to breastfeed successfully!!

But so far, Isaiah, although eating a TON of milk, is completely content with milk alone.  This is all so new to me.  With the other two kiddos I had to start giving them cereal at 4 months on the dot.  They were just not satisfied with formula alone.  If he's content with just milk, then I'd rather wait until he's ready for something else, or until he's 6 months, to start solids.  I really don't want to start later than that though.

on other things, I think he's teething....joy...  My other kiddos started teething at 4 months (the drool...the fussiness...the restlessness during naps...the random fevers, etc...) and didn't cut a single tooth until 10.5 - 11 months.  not fun.  I'm not excited about this.  At least knowing what is going on helps me to calm him.  Teething tablets are my friend!

But one thing that is nothing but pure joy is to see my baby smile!  I love that his grin is so big that takes up almost his entire face!  He is seriously a happy kid - and I think he may be the loudest, most vocal kid so far at this age.  He is so loud with his squeals of delight and play that sometimes Neil and I have to yell over him just so that the other can hear what we're saying! ha.  I'm pretty sure that's a first.


There is definitely a mutual love between Isaiah and both of his siblings.  Bella loves to play with him (although, we have to remind her to be gentle - she still just doesn't know her own strength!).  She also helps me out a LOT when I'm feeding and can't do something for Balian, or she'll get me breast pads in the morning without being asked.  Balian will go up to Isaiah, lie down next to him, and say "hi" over and over and just talk away to him - and share his cars with him - which is a HUGE thing.  He doesn't like to share his cars with anyone - but he'll share with Isaiah.  so sweet.  Balian also loves to get me things for Isaiah - especially socks and bibs (because he knows where they are and he CAN get them.)  He also gets upset if he hears Isaiah crying.  He'll come up to me and in the most concerned voice say "Isa?"  In return, Isaiah just loves to smile back at his brother and sister - and he likes to watch them interact (aka. tackle each other, etc.).  It's crazy to think that it really won't be all that long until he's right there in the action with them!